Senior Legal Counsel, WeirFoulds LLP
Susan Han is a securities lawyer who focuses on regulatory compliance including AML. Susan’s works at WeirFoulds LLP who has offices in Toronto serving clients in the investment funds, wealth management and retail financial services industries. Susan has served as the Corporate Secretary to a number of public companies and large investment fund complexes and their independent review committees (IRCs). She speaks frequently on directors and officers liability and on corporate, fund and pension governance. Before joining WeirFoulds LLP, Susan worked at AUM Law, Miller Thomson, Dundee Wealth and Invesco Trimark.
Founder & Chief AML Ninja, Outlier Solutions Inc.
Amber D. Scott, MBA, CIPPC, CBP, CAMS
Amber is a compliance geek with a passion for technology.
After graduating from the University of Waterloo with a BA, Amber joined the compliance group at one of Canada’s largest insurers where she focused on the implementation of technology-based processes to streamline compliance. She has since worked in in-house roles with major securities firms and banks. Somewhere along the line, she added MBA and a few other letters after her name, and was bitten by the consulting bug. She joined a boutique compliance consulting firm, as well as a larger consulting firm, before launching Outlier Solutions Inc. (Outlier) in 2013. Outlier specializes in anti money laundering (AML) and counter terrorist financing (CTF), and privacy compliance.
- Robert is a Certified Anti Money Laundering Specialist and helps manage and support the National AML Services Group.
- Robert is an experienced and highly qualified Senior Manager in our Forensics team, focusing on providing anti-money laundering services. With a diverse background of over 20 years in financial services.
- Robert has worked most recently with the Royal Bank of Canada managing the high risk client group in relation to AML, terrorist financing compliance, and has significant expertise working with money service businesses.
- Design, Development and Implementation of Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorist Financing risk assessment, policies and procedure, internal controls and training for the money service business sector.
- Develop and deliver training programs that includes training materials and testing. Topics include customer due diligence/Know Your Customer (KYC), enhanced due diligence for high risk areas and Board-level governance training.
- Provide AML/ATF subject matter expertise for the development of risk assessments, policies and procedures for virtual currency businesses.
- Perform AML/ATF effectiveness reviews for money services businesses in Canada, the UK, Australia, dealers in precious metals and financial entities including Bank Secrecy Act (“BSA”) reviews for money services businesses in the United States;
- Provide subject matter expertise through presentations to the Big 5 banks, money services businesses and through speaking engagements at ACAMS, Canadian MSB Association and Canadian Institute’s AML conferences.
- Participation in consultation meetings with the Department of Finance and FINTRAC regarding proposed regulatory changes.
Rodney is currently the COO & AML Compliance Ninja at Outlier Solutions Inc. (Outlier) a Canadian-based consulting company that set out to break the consulting mould by focusing on 3 core principles: Value, Open-Source & Continuous Improvement. His financial compliance experience includes anti-money laundering (AML), counter terrorist financing (CTF), fraud and Legislative Compliance Management (LCM). Over the past 10 years, Rodney has held positions in-house, as a consultant, as a strategic leader and as a founder. He has been involved with numerous activities by reporting entities, including MSBs, financial institutions, real estate and securities. He became a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) in early 2011 and is also a graduate of the Canadian Institute Financial Crime Analysis course at Seneca College. Rodney is also a Certified Bitcoin Professional (CBP) who fell down the rabbit hole in 2013. Since then he has been somewhat obsessed with how Bitcoin and other technologies are impacting the financial and regulatory landscape.